Best Carpet Cleaning Method – Wet, DIY Or Dry
Comparison of Carpet Cleaning Methods
Everyone knows that spring is coming, and it’s time to clean up your home. Carpet cleaning is more than just a way to get rid of stains. It’s a way to maintain your home or business and prolong the life and performance of your carpet.
Many people believe that carpets should only be cleaned when there are apparent stains. It is not true. Carpets need to be cleaned every 12-18 months. It may also require frequent cleanings, depending on the warranty information.
Which Method Is Best for Cleaning Your Carpet?
There are many ways to clean your carpet. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages. How do you choose the best method for your carpet? This article will help you select the correct method for your carpet before it’s time to be cleaned again.
You can choose between dry cleaning and wet cleaning your carpets. Dry carpet cleaning is a no-moisture or very low moisture (VLM) method. Hot water extraction is used for wet carpet cleaning. Carpet steam cleaning is more commonly known as wet carpet cleaning.
Dry cleaning carpets do not require water. This method is excellent for high-traffic areas that need to dry quickly. Although it is not the best choice for a complete clean, this method works well for routine cleaning.
An absorbent compound is used for dry cleaning. This involves spreading a powdered mixture of special cleaning agents and solvents on your carpet and then working it into carpet fibres using a machine equipped with a counter-rotating brush. After about ten to fifteen minutes, the powder mixture has set and is then vacuumed up.
- A simple system for cleaning that doesn’t require any technical training.
- The carpet will dry quickly, and you can then use it again in about 20 minutes.
- It is easy to use, quick, and inexpensive.
- The powder can build up in your carpets
- Dust can build up in your home from powder.
- Cant deep clean carpet
Hot water extraction (HWE), also known as steam cleaning, is used for wet cleaning. Applying a pre-conditioning shampoo is the first step. This will help to dissolve oil-based stains and soil. The carpet is then cleaned with a solvent, and then it is sucked back up together with allergens and dirt. This helps to remove soil from deep within carpet fibres.
You can either transport or use portable steam cleaning machines. Both of these options have their advantages. A portable machine has the obvious advantage of being used in smaller areas, such as apartments or condos where the truck-mounted hose cannot reach. The truck-mounted unit’s power is superior and should be used wherever possible to provide the best cleaning experience.
Suppose you are worried about the cost of having your carpets professionally cleaned. In that case, it is worth considering only cleaning areas that are very frequently used. You don’t have to move large furniture such as your sofa or bed, because the cleaner will clean around them. It makes sense that the carpet underneath large furniture pieces is not visible, so you don’t have to clean it as often. If you move furniture around frequently, it is best to clean the entire carpet.
- It is possible to extract soil from the carpet’s deepest layers.
- High pressure, high temperatures, and chemical concentrates are all acceptable.
- Allows for the extended reaction of cleaning solvent
- A grooming tool or extraction wand facilitates agitation chemical reactivity.
- This carpet cleaning is the most popular method.
- It is recommended by carpet manufacturers, cleaning professionals, and experts for the annual maintenance of your carpets.
- Although drying takes some time, skilled technicians can speed up the process with powerful equipment.
- High-end equipment is usually the best way to achieve maximum efficiency.
- It is more expensive than other methods.
DIY Carpet Clean
You might have seen the many carpet cleaning machines available at your local hardware and grocery stores or the steam cleaning machines found in department stores. There are many machines available that could make it worth your while to reconsider calling the carpet cleaning company every year.
A small spot cleaner is a great tool to have around in case your carpet gets soiled easily. Although this is not the right machine for your carpet, it can clean it well.
DIY Carpet Cleaning Risques
You will notice that the water temperature of DIY machines is not as high as professional machines, which is a requirement for effective cleaning. This machine won’t have the same power as a professional machine, so it will not be able to remove as much dirt or water from your carpet.
The cost of renting a carpet shampooer machine includes:
- Carpet cleaning machine rental costs
- Heavy-duty cleaning agents
- Optional upholstery cleaning attachments and other cleaning agents such as a spotter spray are available.
Your carpet should be slightly damp after you have finished cleaning it. If the carpet is still very wet, it will signify that your machine was not powerful enough. If your carpet is still wet from cleaning, fans can be used to speed up drying. However, don’t move on the carpet or replace furniture until the carpet is completely dry.
Before you clean your carpet by yourself, you should consider how much cleaner you will need and what kind of method you will use to move it around. You have options for making mistakes when cleaning carpets yourself, whether you go fast or slow.
- Save money upfront
- You are in complete control of the cleaning process and which areas you clean.
- You don’t need to make an appointment. We can work around your schedule.
- Products for spot and stain removal are quite affordable.
- Professionals can clean deeper than you. DIY won’t be as thorough.
- You must do the work yourself
- Drying can take a long time.
- Self-treated stained areas tend to come back
- Professional carpet cleaning is sometimes better as they have more experience
Carpet Cleaning Issues
No matter if you hire a professional to clean your carpet, there are always problems. These problems could include:
- The growth of mould or a musty odour
- Carpet backing can be stained with water or brown.
- Cracking or shrinking is a severe case that can cause the carpet to become damaged.
If your carpet is too wet, you can ask the carpet cleaner for more water or to lend you an industrial-strength blower.
Are Carpet Cleaning Chemicals Safe?
It is okay to ask carpet cleaners what chemicals they intend to use when you are considering having your carpets cleaned. You and your family can be affected by some chemicals, so make sure you know which ones to avoid.
These chemicals are unsafe for your family and you to come into contact with:
- Glycol Ethers
- Hydrofluoric Acid
- Sodium Bisulfate
- Nitrilotriacetate Acid
- Propane or Isobutane
- Perchloroethylene, Tributyl Tin
- Quaternary ammonium chloride
- Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Hydroxide
Ask your carpet cleaner if they have any suggestions for alternatives to harsh chemicals. You can also find eco-friendly carpet cleaners, which use Green Certified Products. These products are safer for your family. Do not expose if you decide to clean the carpet yourself.
Increasing the Life of Your Carpet
These steps will help you extend the life of your carpet.
- You can keep soil out of your house or facility by installing systems. Particular attention should be given to entrances and high-traffic areas.
- Vacuum daily to remove debris before it causes damage to carpet fibres.
- Do spot cleaning and interim cleaning frequently.
- You can do occasional restorative cleaning, which could be dry or wet depending on how much traffic you have.
Carpet damage can also be caused by improper maintenance. A majority of professionals agree that wet cleaning is necessary at times in your carpet’s life span. To ensure your carpet lasts for a long time, ensure you follow the correct steps to maintain and clean it.
The carpet is often the first thing people see when they enter your home or workplace. It is therefore essential to keep it clean. It is up to you to decide whether you hire a professional or do it yourself. However, you should always research the company before you make any decisions. You can relax and enjoy a clean carpet.